If you’re on the road and like listening to music, you’re welcome to use the in-ear headphones. The headphones are used together with a mobile phone, smartphone or tablet. They are plugged directly into the ear canal and in many cases provide good sound quality. If they are no longer needed, they can be stored in the jacket or trouser pocket to save space and effortlessly.
Our in-ear headphones comparison shows that headphones are not just headphones and there are some differences – not only in price.
Top 10 In-Ear Headphones
What are in-ear headphones and what do you need them for?
With the proliferation of cell phones, smartphones, and other portable devices, the desire to listen to music or audiobooks on the go has grown. And the manufacturers reacted accordingly. While in the past there were the simple headphones that were put on the ears “from the outside” so to speak, the in-ear headphones were developed. These headphones are among the smallest types of headphones in general.
The advantage of the in-ear headphones is very clear: they are small, handy and lightweight, fit in the pocket and are therefore perfect for traveling.
The in-ear headphones differ in their functions and of course in their sound relationship. It is not necessarily said that the expensive in-ear headphones are definitely better than their cheap competitors.
For a bit of money, TaoTronics in-ear headphones are perfect for sports.
In the case of in-ear headphones, there are the normal ones that you can use to “just listen to music”, so to speak. And then terms like “earbuds” appear. The “earbuds” are just this classic version of the earplugs. That is, these headphones are simply inserted into the outer ear or clamped. Since these earplugs only loosely fit in the outer ear, these are more suitable only for listening to music, for listening to music during sports, they are rather unsuitable.
With the in-ear headphones, the earplugs are pushed into the front of the ear canal, so that they sit firmly and do not fall out directly during sports.
And here you differentiate then different versions, such as the headphones in-ear, which come along with Bluetooth, wireless technology and wireless. These variants are usually the better choice, especially if you use the headphones more often, for example, even in sports.
In-ear headphones also include terms like ” earbuds “. The “Ear Buds” is the classic version of the earplugs, that is, these headphones are inserted or clamped in the auricle.
What are the differences between the in-ear headphones and what you should pay attention to when purchasing, we would like to explain in the following sections?
The differences between earbuds and in-ear headphones
In contrast to the in-ear headphones, the earbuds do not completely seal the ear. Therefore, ambient noise is still perceived, and others can overhear the music you are playing.
Since the earbuds are only loosely clamped in the ear, they can also fall out quickly. If you wear the Earbuds too long, they can cause a disturbing pressure in the ear. And in terms of sound, the simple earbuds are just as easy.
In contrast, the in-ear headphones are equipped with plastic or silicone attachments and are pushed into the ear canal. Many models of these headphones are shipped with different sizes of earplugs, so you can wear the in-ears fit. They seal the ear, making the volume of the music lower than the Earbud headphones.
However, you should pay attention in the road with the in-ears, because the good seat and possibly the loud music, signals in traffic can be ignored.
By inserting the headphones into the ear canal, the sound of the in-ear headphones is better than with the earbuds.
Both types of headphones are small and handy, require very little storage space, so that jacket or trouser pockets are completely sufficient for storage. Some models have the advantage that they are equipped with magnets to wear the headphones, for example, after losing weight around the neck. The magnetic connection ensures that the headphones do not fall off.
In terms of sound, the earbuds are not that good, but quite a few models of the in-ear headphones can keep up with the ear hook headphones and deliver a good sound. The basses are also much better to hear by the “plugging” into the ear canal.
These are the benefits of in-ear headphones
The in-ear headphones bring some advantages – one of the main advantages is, of course, the low weight. But these headphones can do a lot more, namely:
- they are versatile Whether music or audiobooks – with the in-ear headphones you are flexible. They can be connected to smartphones and Apple devices, but also to computers, MP3 players or tablets. If you choose the in-ear headphones with the 3.5 mm jack, you can use the headphones on all popular devices.
- they offer a good sound quality As already described, the in-ear headphones are in no way inferior to their larger competitors, the ear hook headphones. This makes the further development of the technology possible. But the good sound quality is also due to the fact that the earphones are pushed directly into the ear canal, the auditory canal is thereby almost completely sealed. This isolates environmental noise. And this means that you do not have to raise the volume as high as with the earbuds.
- Wireless in-ear headphones Because they transmit music without the need for cables but via Bluetooth, they offer their wearer even more advantages. No annoying cable that is in the way during sports or that constantly breaks through the stress. The wireless in-ear headphones have only one connection cable between the two earplugs. However, there are also headphone models that have a neckband. The downside to the wireless in-ear headphones: they need to be charged. However, they are usually fully charged after 1 to 2 hours to be used for about 5 to 6 hours.
- different sizes of the earplugs With the earphones in-ear you usually get the earmuffs in different sizes. Various upholstery options are available so that the headphones can be ideally adapted to the ear. Some manufacturers offer, especially for the sports area, in-ear headphones with an additional headband.
- Wearers of glasses rarely have problems with the in-ear models If eyeglass wearers want to listen to music using the conventional headphones, it may well be that the attachments in combination with the glasses push the head. By using the small earplugs, wearers of glasses can also enjoy listening to music on the go.
- Microphone and multifunction button Many models of in-ear headphones are equipped with a microphone so that you can even make a call on the go with the headphones. For example, songs can be skipped or the volume adjusted using a multi-function knob.
- In-ear headphones with nano-coating Some manufacturers have provided their in-ear headphones with a nano-coating that gives you the advantage that sweat or water cannot harm the headphones. Especially in sports, when you sweat or even train in the rain, these headphones with nano-coating are definitely recommended.
Are the in-ear headphones harmful?
A question that some people ask themselves. The headphones themselves are by no means harmful, it is much more the loud music that is often heard with the in-ear headphones. Because everyone knows that too loud music is dangerous and the noise level is too high for the ears. In many cases, the player already signals when the selected volume is too loud.
In-ear headphones – sometimes also clean
Since these headphones are inserted into the ear canal, it can not be avoided that earwax and bacteria accumulate in the plugs. Therefore, the pads should be wiped now and then with a damp cloth. Disinfectant wipes or cleaning alcohol go as well. Headphones with foam pads can be cleaned with detergent and water.
What should you look for when buying in-ear headphones?
In the previous sections, we have already explained a number of points to you when purchasing the in-ear headphones are relevant. In summary, the purchase criteria of the in-ear headphones include the following points:
- Pay attention to the sound quality
- Check that the headphones different sizes of ear tips are included
- does the in-ear headset have Bluetooth?
- is it a wireless in-ear headphone?
- Has the headset integrated a microphone so that you can use the headphones as a headset?