A sweeper is a working tool that allows you to easily and quickly clean larger areas. Useful is a sweeper, for example, sweeping court entrances, terraces, and sidewalks. In addition, sweepers can be used in the professional field, such as for the floor cleaning of factory premises, warehouses, and sports facilities.
Top 10 Sweepers
What can a sweeper do?
With the aid of a sweeper, you can optimally clean large areas. But what can a sweeper do in detail? Basically, a sweeper is suitable for various purposes. Most models can use them to eliminate dust, gravel, twigs, and other dry soil contaminants.
Some devices can also remove wet leaves, mud, and similar debris. In addition, many a sweeper for snow can be used: You can use a snow sweeper to free the ground from not too high snow. Sweepers are suitable for indoor as well as for outdoor use.
Possible applications include:
- Private streets
- Courtyard and garage entrances
- school grounds
- factory site
- sports facilities
- Sport centers
The types of sweepers in view
Before buying a sweeper, it makes sense to learn more about the different types. Hand sweepers, gasoline sweepers, and battery sweepers are available on the market. Below we describe all three variants on STERN.de.
The hand sweeper
A hand sweeper is operated manually. It works without electricity and without fuel. Instead, you have to push a manual sweeper across the floor. Thus, a certain amount of force is required for the operation of such a device. Nevertheless, a sweeper without electricity and fuel is usually easy to use.
The performance of a sweeper for pushing is usually less than the performance of the battery and gasoline sweepers. Because of this, such a device is usually not suitable for more stubborn contaminants, such as snow and damp leaves.
Instead, you can use a manual sweeper optimally to rid the floor of dry dirt. If the sweeper is operated manually, it is particularly suitable for flat surfaces. Ideally, you can use a hand sweeping device, for example, for the cleaning of terraces, garage entrances, and sidewalks.
The gasoline sweeper
A gasoline sweeper is a sweeper with an engine. As the name suggests, such a sweeper is powered by gasoline. Accordingly, you will need fuel to use such a device.
For a gasoline, sweeper offers a particularly high performance. This makes it possible to clean large areas with such a device.
Some gasoline sweepers are equipped with a capacity of 8000 square meters per hour or more. Thus, a gasoline sweeper for the professional sector is very good. Most models can catch snow and wet foliage in addition to the dry contaminants.
The battery sweeper
The battery sweeper is an electrical sweeper dar. It is equipped with a battery and is operated on this.
A sweeper with battery often has a higher performance than hand sweepers and lower performance than gasoline sweepers. As a rule, you can use a battery sweeper to remove stubborn dirt. However, such a device is usually not designed to remove snow.
In addition, the life of such a machine is limited due to the battery. The running time is often between 40 and 90 minutes. Once the battery is empty, you need to charge it.
Depending on the size of the area to be cleaned, you may need to stop cleaning to recharge the battery. Therefore, battery sweepers are not ideal for too large areas. Instead, a sweeper with battery operation is intended especially for the private sector.
What makes a good sweeper?
Sweepers are available in various designs. But which sweeper is good? Which sweeper is good depends on various factors. First and foremost, the sweeper should fit the purpose. To find the best sweeper, you should consider different criteria when buying. Several of these criteria are presented at gmomf.org The most important purchase criteria for sweepers include besides the operating mode:
- The collecting container: The dirt is collected in the collecting container. That’s why its size is crucial. The larger it is, the shorter the cleaning process takes and the larger areas you can clean without interruption. For many applications, a collecting container with a capacity of 30 to 50 liters is recommended. Partly an even larger container makes sense. For some purposes, a container with a capacity of fewer than 30 liters is sufficient. This is especially true for smaller areas.
- The sweeping width: The sweeping width is often called the working width. Mostly it is between 55 and 100 centimeters. For comparison: An ordinary street broom has a sweeping width between 30 and 40 centimeters. Which sweeping width is recommended for you depends on the area to be cleaned. Often a width between 55 and 70 centimeters is sufficient. If you want to clean large areas, a sweeping width of up to 80 centimeters may be useful. But it should not be too big, because it makes the operation much more difficult. If you want to clean narrow sidewalks and/or similar surfaces, a smaller sweeping width can be an advantage.
- Area performance: Area performance shows which area you can clean with the sweeper within an hour. If you want to use the sweeper to clean surfaces around the house, an output of 1500 to 3000 square meters per hour is usually sufficient. If you want to use the sweeper in the professional field, a larger area performance of 2500 to 8000 square meters per hour may make sense, as they allow gasoline sweepers. Ride-on sweepers sometimes have an even higher surface coverage (up to 10,000 square meters per hour). Self-propelled sweepers even allow 15,000 square meters per hour or more. By comparison, the area output of a broom is around 140 to 150 square meters per hour.
- The Weight: Hand sweepers represent the lightest sweepers. Partly the weight of these machines is under 10 kilograms. A low weight is especially useful if you have to carry the sweeper more often. Battery sweepers are a bit heavier due to the battery. Gasoline sweepers are equipped with a particularly high weight. This is on many models between 70 and 100 kilograms.
- The push bar: It is important that the push bar is height adjustable. If this is the case, you can adjust the bar to your own height. Thus you spare your back when working with the machine. In addition, it is convenient if the push handle can be folded down and you can store the device thereby saving space.
- The snow blade: Especially gasoline sweepers are often supplied with a snow blade. Thanks to this you can turn the sweeper into a snow shovel. A sweeper with a snow blade can therefore also be used in high snow.
7 tips for cleaning the floor with the sweeper
- Depending on how powerful the sweeper is, you should make some preparations before the cleaning process. In part, it is advisable to pre-treat persistent impurities and, for example, to loosen them up. Sometimes it makes sense to remove large contaminants that would hinder the cleaning process with the sweeper in advance.
- If you use a less efficient sweeper, it is usually not intended for wet soiling. When using such a sweeper make sure that the area to be cleaned is dry. Because sweepers with a low output can hardly absorb wet dirt.
- Take a look around before you start the sweeper. The area should be clean. When starting it is possible that impurities, such as small stones, become a ricochet and damage someone injured or surrounding objects. Especially if you use a sweeper with a higher performance, you should pay attention to a dirt-free environment.
- It is recommended not to drive too many turns with the sweeper. In particular, a sharp curve can ensure that the machine does not absorb the dirt. It is best to drive long and straight lines. If you have to turn, you should take a big turn.
- If leaves and/or other debris are present on the front brushes, brush cleaning should only be performed if the brush stops rotating and stops completely.
- Wear protective goggles during cleaning work. This protects your eyes from swirling impurities as well as from ricochets. If you do not wear protective goggles, it may happen that the dirt gets into your eyes and damages the cornea.
- Pay attention to the speed when using a hand sweeper. This should not be too high or too low. If the speed is too low, the brushes will rotate too slowly so that the machine can not pick up the dirt. If you move too fast, the dirt is whirled up and also not caught by the device.
5 questions & answers around the topic Sweeper
For which floors are sweepers suitable?
Most sweepers are especially suitable for dry and flat surfaces. If you want to clean wet and/or uneven surfaces, you should look for a high-quality model with a high performance. These models are usually designed to remove wet leaves and snow. Partially, you can use more powerful and high-quality models as a cobbler sweeper and other uneven surfaces.
How do I clean a sweeper?
Sometimes it is necessary to clean the sweeper. Every now and then you have to clean the sweeping rollers and side brushes. To do this, remove the side brushes and soak them in a warm water bath. Then you can easily remove the impurities.
Alternatively, you can clean the rollers and brushes with a strong jet of water. You can remove rough dirt manually in advance. In addition, you should regularly empty the collection container. It is best to clean it with water from time to time.
Where can I buy a sweeper?
Sweepers are available online as well as locally. Are you looking for such a device, you can look at, among others, at hardware stores. For example, you will find one or the other sweeper at Obi, Toom, and Hornbach. In addition, you can discover in the retailer sweepers with and without a motor.
If you want to buy a sweeper online, for example, you will find it in the online shops of various hardware stores. In addition, some sweepers manufacturers offer their own online shops. For example, if you would like to buy a Kärcher sweeper, you will receive it in the Kärcher Onlineshop, among others.
In addition, you get a sweeper at Amazon, Otto, eBay, and many other online shops. In addition, from time to time supermarkets and discounters, such as Real and Lidl, have a sweeper ready.
Can I rent a sweeper?
As an alternative to the purchase, there is the possibility to rent a sweeper. This is useful if you only need the sweeper from time to time. For example, if you want to clean up the garbage after the annual street festivals with a sweeper, it is sometimes advisable to rent a sweeper instead of buying such a device.
If you hire a sweeper, you will be charged several times. These include:
- Firstly, the rental price for the device falls. This varies from model to model and from provider to provider.
- On the other hand, many providers require a deposit.
- If you rent accessories, such as a snow chain, in addition to the unit, you will be charged additional costs.
- Unless you have a trailer or similar device to transport the sweeper, you may be required to pay extra for transportation.
Often buying a sweeper makes more sense. This is especially true if you want to use the device more often.
It is best to listen to your acquaintances and neighbors before making a purchase. There may be a neighbor who also needs a sweeper. You could team up with such a person and buy a high-quality sweeper together. Thus, you share the device and the cost.
Do I need a driver’s license for the sweeper?
If you want to use a hand sweeper, you do not need a driver’s license. Also, no driver’s license is required if the device is at a maximum speed of 6 kilometers per hour. If you only use the sweeper on grounds that are not open to the public, no driver’s license is required.
If you want to use the sweeper on public areas, you will need a driver’s license:
- If the sweeper has a speed of up to 25 kilometers per hour, you need a driving license of the class L.
- If it is a model with a maximum authorized mass of 3.5 tons, a driving license of class B is necessary.
- If the machine has a maximum permitted mass of 7.5 tonnes, you will need a C1 license.
- You may only use a sweeper with a gross vehicle weight of more than 7.5 tonnes if you hold a category C license.