A deep green, rich and manicured lawn is the dream of most landowners. But a beautiful lawn is not only the result of regular care – already when planting one should proceed with caution. And here comes the lawn seed into play. There are far more differences between the different types of grass than it seems and it is worth knowing. This is the only way to ensure that the end result looks as desired.
Top 10 Lawn Seeds
What exactly are grass seeds?
Lawn seeds are purchased to green an arbitrarily large area. The grass seed ingredients are available in bags of different sizes to give buyers the opportunity to adjust the amount of crop to be planted. Since there are different types of grasses, the least turf seeds consist of a single variety. Rather, there are mixtures of different grasses – and in the composition, there are basically no limits of the possible.
Lawn seed, which is commercially available, has some qualitative differences, but there are some characteristics that all varieties have in common. So is the lawn that arises, usually easy to clean and also resistant. Good grass seed is still responsible for green areas that can withstand adverse weather conditions and grow evenly. In addition, high-quality grass seed is not difficult to plant – so there are many reasons to go looking for a good seed mixture.
Which varieties of grass seeds are there?
Depending on the demands you have on your grass seed, you can choose between different varieties of grass seed and the most common variations include the following seed mixtures:
- Play and sports turf: This is probably the most widespread type of used turf. Good grass seed provides a sport and playing lawn that is robust, hard-wearing and durable. If the regular use of bald spots on the grass surface grows the Nachsaat grasses in such grass seed varieties very quickly. What is an advantage on the one hand, on the other hand, a greater effort, because such a lawn needs to be mowed more often?
- Ornamental lawn: Another name for the ornamental lawn is “English lawn”. As the name suggests, such a lawn should be an ornament for the eye and primarily make something visually. An ornamental lawn is ideal, especially for front gardens. In such mixtures less robust, but rather fine-leaved grass varieties are included. Such a lawn is indeed firm, but not as strong as the robust game and sports turf presented above.
- Shadow grass: Here, too, the name of the grass allows conclusions about the areas of application. Shadow grass does not need as much sunshine and is suitable for areas that are mostly shaded due to trees or buildings. In addition, such grasses can prevail particularly well against weeds and moss.
- Flower Meadow: It does not always have to be pure grass seeds, which are contained in a mixture. Even a grass and flour mixture is a great way to green areas. Such green areas are very easy to care for, are rarely fertilized and mowed and look different in every season, as each plant has its own flowering time. One of the advantages of such surfaces is, of course, the colorful look. The disadvantage is the fact that a flower meadow is not necessarily suitable as lawns.
Which grass seed varieties are found in grass mixtures?
As far as the constituents of the grass seed mixtures are concerned, it depends on which application the mixture is intended for or to which variant of the grass seed mixtures it belongs. Which lawn seeds are in which variety, we will explain briefly:
- Sports and game lawns: Usually such a mixture consists for the most part of grass seed of the German ryegrass or different breeding forms such as Barrage, Mondial and Chagall. Meadow bluegrass is often used, and for example, grass seeds such as Liberator or Compact are common.
- Ornamental lawns: For such a lawn one prefers to use lawn seeds of the variety Rotschwingel. These include, for example, cultivars such as Samantha, Bossanova or Bargreen. The German ryegrass, which provides for resistance to kicking, is also used in ornamental grass mixtures.
- Shadow grass: In such a mixture is mainly grove or camp bluegrass included. Certain varieties of knowledge bluegrass such as “Linear” or “Julius” are also found in many cases. The Rotschwingel varieties such as “Mustang”, “Aida” and “Wrangler” are well suited for shady or partially shaded areas.
- Flower meadow: There are many possibilities for variation with these grass seed varieties. Often seeds of Atlasblumen, marigolds, and carnations can be found. As far as the grasses are concerned, meadow grasses, perennial ryegrass, and red fescue varieties are common in the mixtures.
What is the difference between lawn seed and grass seed sowing?
Lawn seeds are used for prime sowing to green an area that was not previously overgrown. Lawn seeding, on the other hand, is used on already existing turf. This is necessary, for example, if bald spots or signs of wear and tear are present. But even with uneven sowing, the reseeding can serve as a cosmetic correction. Popular varieties for the German ryegrass are the most popular varieties for the grass ryegrass. You will find the corresponding information on the grass mixture pack – and there are both mixtures that are specially designed for first sowing and for reseeding and those where both are possible.
Expensive against cheap – which decision is the best?
Who is looking for lawn seeds, will of course also ask the question of the price. The temptation is always great to opt for a particularly favorable product, but it should be discouraged at this point. Lawn seeds for a particularly small price, which you can discover, for example, in DIY stores, mostly contain grass varieties that are used as feed for grazing animals. Such grasses grow very fast and are very green and juicy. What may at first glance be seen as a distinct advantage could quickly become a nuisance.
The fact is that fast-growing fodder grasses gradually displace the other grasses and, after a while, can form bald spots in the lawn. In such holes then settle on preference to wild herbs such as dandelion. Such plants are very difficult to get rid of and that means additional effort and also plenty of reason to annoy.
Therefore, it pays to invest in good grass seed. Even though premium turf seeds are initially more expensive to purchase, the higher investment over time will be more than worthwhile. You can be sure of a steady lawn that always looks beautiful and, all in all, less effort and less effort to keep the lawn nice.
Finding the best grass seeds – these purchase criteria are crucial
As you have already seen, there are many different types of grass seeds and those who want to choose the ideal mixture should be in the run-up to some thoughts about future use. Which grass seed is the best, basically only you can decide for yourself, you only have to pay attention to a few things if you want to buy high-quality grass seed. The most important purchase criteria or individual requirements include the following:
- Lighting conditions: Take a closer look at the area to be planted and make the choice of turf seeds with the amount of sunlight that the turf receives day after day during the year. If there is a lot of shade, you should opt for a special shade lawn, which thrives well despite low solar radiation.
- Environment: How strong is the lawn exposed to wind and weather? Does the lawn need to be prepared for challenging weather or is the weather very mild? Again, you should choose the grass seeds and choose a variety that is robust enough.
- Purpose: Should the lawn only look beautiful or serve as a usable area? Is the lawn often used or is it in an area that is rarely or never entered? The more frequently the lawn is used, the more robust and resistant the grass seed should be.
- Care: Even if a lawn is not entered too often, it does not always have to be a lawn that you plant. Because such a lawn needs a lot of care and not everyone has the time to deal regularly and extensively with a lawn.
Sowing grass – tips and hints for the perfect green area
Of course, it’s the quality and type of grass seeds that determines how beautiful and durable the green space will be – but you can also do something to make your lawn enjoyable for a long time. The correct procedure for sowing also plays an important role in the quality of the lawn.
Choose the right time for sowing
Basically, it is possible to sow lawn seeds all year round. However, there are recommendations from the seed manufacturers, which are to be considered in some varieties. These recommendations are usually seen directly on the seed packaging. The ideal conditions are basically given at a soil temperature of about 10 degrees and plenty of moisture.
Prepare the soil
If weed is present in the area that is to be planted, it must be removed. Otherwise, the plants could deprive the lawn of nutrients and the lawn grows unevenly or even bald spots. To clear the soil from weeds, of course, the roots have gone – and such work can be very stressful. So best equipped with good tools and save a lot of effort. Before sowing, the soil is still leveled with a roller and compacted. For ideal results, leave the floor to rest for a few more days.
Sowing – the right technique is crucial
It is important that you distribute the turf seeds as evenly as possible on the floor. Some seed packages have special openings for easy seed distribution, but accessories such as seeding pans or spreaders also help. Then you rake the earth well with a calculation well, thus ensuring that the seeds can grow better. Finally, you pull a turf roller over the entire surface and thus ensure a good ground closure.
Do not forget to water
If there is not enough rain from the sky, it is necessary to provide the seed with sufficient water for a few days. In the process, you irrigate the future lawn four times a day for about ten minutes. Depending on grass seed and environmental conditions, the subsequent germination period is one to three weeks.
How to maintain your new lawn
Now you have decided on the ideal grass seed and your new lawn grows and thrives, as it should be. If you want your green area to look good in the long term and fulfill its purpose, it is necessary to give the lawn adequate care. This includes mowing it regularly and supplying it with sufficient water. Each lawn needs a different frequency of cutting and watering depending on the composition of the seeds. The corresponding information can usually be found in the grass seed mixture.
Of course, regular fertilization in lawn care must not be missing. Turf plants extract nutrients from the soil, which they need to grow and thrive. There are also different versions of lawn fertilizer and again the choice should be made wisely. The rule of thumb is that the lawn should be fertilized 3-4 times a year. It is advisable to use a liquid fertilizer – except the soil is very sandy. In this case, the liquid fertilizer could leak too fast to the groundwater and does not come into sufficient quantity with the lawn in contact.