A hygrometer is a measuring device that can be used to determine the humidity. The hygrometers are also known under the terms air humidity meter and humidity meter. Most hygrometers on the market are equipped with a thermometer. These are often referred to as thermo-hygrometers and can measure the current temperature in addition to the current humidity. Some hygrometers also have a clock and a barometer. These models are often called weather stations.
Top 10 Hygrometers
What is a hygrometer for?
Hygrometers can measure the humidity and can be used in various areas. But what exactly does a hygrometer serve?
Hygrometer for the home
If you want to use a hygrometer in your own four walls, this can contribute to an optimal room climate: Firstly, a hygrometer for the apartment can help to ensure that the humidity is not too low. Too much air causes infections and can lead to different symptoms. These include, for example:
- Dry skin
- a sore throat
- a cough
- Brittle lips
On the other hand, a room humidity meter is important to prevent mold in the home. Because mold is known to be caused by too high humidity. This occurs, for example, by taking a shower or cooking. If this humidity is not directed outside, mold can form.
Hygrometer for terrariums, offices, concert halls & Co.
A hygrometer can not only be used in your home. They are also suitable for many other areas. For example, there are hygrometers for plants and thus for greenhouses as well as for nurseries. Other rooms in which hygrometers or thermo-hygrometers can be ideally used include:
- concert halls
- animal Shelters
Hygrometer for outside
Hygrometers are usually designed for interiors. Partly you can use these models outdoors in very sheltered areas. There are also special hygrometers for outdoor use. The outdoor hygrometers usually consist of two components. This includes a sensor that you install outdoors and the main station that you normally need to mount indoors. The sensor forwards the measured values to the main station via radio.
Analog, digital & smart hygrometers available in the market
There are analog, digital and smart hygrometers on the market. we dealt with all three variants. Below we describe the analog, the digital as well as the smart models in more detail and show the pros and cons of the three hygrometer types.
The analog hygrometer
Analog hygrometers work mechanically and are usually designed around. They are usually equipped with a material that expands when exposed to humidity. Humidity is indicated by a pointer and a scale on a dial. If you want to use an analog hygrometer, you have to calibrate it regularly. This is usually done with the help of a screwdriver.
Before deciding on an analog meter, keep in mind that the range of functions is often less than the functionality of digital or smart hygrometers. Some models can only measure humidity. Others are additionally equipped with a thermometer. Other functions are usually not available.
It is advantageous that an analog humidity meter does not require power. Accordingly, an analog hygrometer works without a battery. In addition, analog hygrometers are often classically and nobly designed.
The digital hygrometer
Digital hygrometers measure humidity using sensors. They display the measured values on a digital display. As a rule, you can not and need not calibrate the digital humidity meters. For this purpose, the digital hygrometers usually have more functions: Many digital hygrometers measure the humidity and the temperature. They usually show the current values as well as the maximum and minimum measured data.
In addition, various models indicate the development trend. Some digital hygrometers are even equipped with other practical features. For example, some digital hygrometers are equipped with mold alarms. On the other hand, digital hygrometers are often equipped with a less visually appealing design. In addition, you will need batteries to operate these meters.
The smart hygrometer
Smart hygrometers are basically digital hygrometers with the app. They have no display. The operation is usually exclusively via the app. With Bluetooth, you can pair these devices with a smartphone.
The advantage of these models is above all the data recording. The measured values are usually stored in the app. For example, you can see if the humidity in the night was too high and how the humidity in the past few weeks has changed.
In addition, a smart hygrometer with the app can be used optimally, if you keep the hygrometer in a terrarium or a cabinet. Because thanks to the app you can see the corresponding values, without opening the terrarium or the cupboard. Even as a hygrometer for the nursery or nursery, a smart hygrometer can be an ideal solution.
7 relevant purchase criteria for hygrometer
Often it makes sense to set up a hygrometer in the apartment. Likewise, the hygrometers are suitable for terrariums and other applications. If you want to buy a hygrometer, it is advisable to look at various aspects in advance. The hygrometers differ not only in terms of the mode of operation and the type of display. Below we would like to explain further purchase criteria for hygrometers.
- The measuring accuracy: A hygrometer measures the humidity and usually displays the current value in percent. But how reliable are hygrometers and how accurate are hygrometers? The manufacturers indicate the measuring accuracy with a +/- value. It is advantageous if the hygrometer is accurate and displays the values reliably. If you use the hygrometer to keep an eye on the indoor climate, measurement accuracy of +/- two to three percent is often sufficient. Bear in mind that the accuracy of humidity meters often decreases over time.
- The measuring range: Some models measure the humidity between zero and 100 percent. Other hygrometers can no longer measure and indicate the humidity below or above a certain percentage. If the hygrometer is a thermo-hygrometer, you should also pay attention to the temperature measuring range. If you would like to use the Thermo Hygrometer internally, a temperature measuring range from zero degrees Celsius is sufficient. If you want to use the Thermo Hygrometer outside, the device should be able to measure minus degrees.
- Highs and lows: Most digital hygrometers can not only display the current humidity level and, if applicable, the current temperature. Instead, you can often see the lowest and the highest measured humidity values and, in part, the temperature value on these devices. The highest and lowest values are partially deleted automatically. Partly, the deletion of this data manually by pressing a button is possible.
- The comfort zone indicator: Many hygrometers indicate whether the humidity in the room is in a normal range. For this purpose, they divide the humidity into three areas. These include mostly: Dry, Comfort and Wet. The indication “Dry” stands for too dry air. The indication “Wet” means that the humidity is too high. Therefore, the humidity should always be in a comfortable area. The different zones often indicate the hygrometers by a smiley or by another symbol or by a color coding.
- The mounting options: Hygrometers are usually equipped with a fold-out stand or a removable stand. Through this, it is possible to set up the meter. If you want to hang the hygrometer on the wall, the hygrometer should be suitable for hanging and therefore have a hole in the back. This hole allows you to attach the meter to the wall with a nail. In addition, some hygrometers are provided with a magnetic strip or the like. For example, you can hang these models on a refrigerator or metal cabinet.
- The acoustic mold alarm: Some digital humidity meters are equipped with an acoustic mold alarm. These gauges trigger an alarm when the hygrometer measures excessive humidity. Practical are these hygrometers with an alarm function to prevent mold.
- The data logger: A hygrometer with data logger is also called hygrometer with recording or hygrometer with recording function. These models can store the measured data for several weeks or months. Finally, you can forward the recorded values to a PC and evaluate them here.
How to set a hygrometer
For analog humidity meters, you need to periodically calibrate to get the most accurate readings possible. There are various possibilities for the adjustment of such a measuring device. We would like to explain two methods In both methods you should make sure that the temperature in the room remains constant and that the room is draft-free.
Calibration with salt & a freezer bag
To calibrate a hygrometer with salt and a freezer bag, you should do the following:
- First, pour about a tablespoon of salt into a small glass. Now add some water. This mixture should give a kind of mush.
- Then place the hygrometer with the glass in a freezer bag.
- Consequently, you must close the freezer bag and wait about two hours.
- Thereafter, the relative humidity should be 75 percent. If this is not the case, you must calibrate the hygrometer. To do this, take a screwdriver and push it through the freezer bag. Now you can set the humidity to 75 percent.
- Once this is done, the hygrometer is calibrated.
Calibration with a damp towel
If you are familiar with calibration and can do it within seconds, you can do the adjustment with a damp towel. To do this, wrap the Humidity Meter in a damp towel. Alternatively, you can use a damp cloth.
After about two hours, the relative humidity reading should be 98 percent. If not, you must calibrate the hygrometer. You have to proceed very fast. As a rule, you only have ten seconds before the humidity meter detects a different level of humidity.
Which place is the perfect site for hygrometers?
Often you can put hygrometer or hang up. You can place the measuring devices in various rooms. The moisture meters are suitable for example for living rooms, bedrooms, kitchens, basements and storage rooms.
If you would like to use the hygrometer to monitor the general humidity, you should avoid a few sites. This applies regardless of the room in which you want to install or hang the hygrometer. Avoid a location near a heater, humidifier, and window. Nor should you place the meter behind a curtain or in a similar location.
The humidity is too low or too high: What can I do?
Neither too low nor too high humidity is good. As already mentioned, too dry air can lead to dermatitis, dry lips, throat-scraping, and similar symptoms. On the other hand, excessive humidity may be responsible for mold. That is why it is important to keep the humidity in an ideal range.
5 tips to increase the humidity
If the hygrometer indicates too low humidity, you should increase it. This is achieved, for example, by the following tips:
- Recommended is a regular Stoßlüften instead of overturning. This is especially true in the cold season. The reason is the following: If you open the window, the cool air enters the room and it must be heated, the indoor humidity decreases. Therefore you should not open your windows for a longer period on tilt. Instead, you should open them wide, several times a day for a short time each.
- Plants can help to increase the humidity. Because water can evaporate through the leaves of the plants. However, you can not use every plant for this purpose. For example, green lilies, Cyprus grass, room linden and papyrus plants are ideal.
- If the humidity is low, you can put damp cloths or cloths on the heater.
- Another home remedy that can help with too low humidity is a water bowl. You can fill bowls or other containers with water and distribute them in the room. It is important that you change the water regularly.
- If you want, you can buy a humidifier . These devices can humidify the air while preventing dust from whirling up.
5 tips to reduce humidity
If the humidity is too high, you should reduce it. The following measures can help:
- To reduce the humidity, proper ventilation is important. Due to this, too high a humidity in the room, as well as a too low humidity: The regular and short airing with wide open windows is better than long ventilation with windows open on tilt.
- If you want to counteract excessive humidity, you can use pebble-like cat litter. Because cat litter absorbs the humidity. The same applies to sea salt. Therefore, you only have to fill one or more bowls with cat litter or with salt. These vessels can then be placed in the room.
- Excessive indoor humidity can be caused or aggravated by damp clothing. Therefore, it is advisable to hang the wet laundry after washing out if possible outdoors or to put in a dryer.
- It makes sense not to shower too long and not too hot. In addition, you should open the window wide after the shower process.
- At high humidity levels, dehumidifiers can help quickly. These are available in the market in various designs.
Where are hygrometers available?
Humidity meters are available in several regional stores. For example, you can get hygrometers at Obi. Alternatively, you can buy hygrometers at Hornbach, Toom and other hardware stores. Many electrical retailers also offer humidity meters. Among other things, you can buy hygrometers at Saturn and at Media Markt.
Sometimes supermarkets and discounters have humidity meters available, so you can buy the hygrometers at Lidl, Real, and Co. from time to time. In addition, it is possible to buy hygrometers online. For example, you can get hygrometers at Amazon and eBay. There is often a large selection available on the internet.