With a high-pressure cleaner, you can quickly and thoroughly clean various areas in the house and garden. The high-pressure cleaner helps to easily remove even stubborn dirt. The device is versatile and flexible, so you can clean soiled terraces, facades, gutters or paved walkways around the house. In addition, the high-pressure cleaner is very good to wash your bike or car properly.
Top 10 High-Pressure Washers
How does a pressure washer work?
A high-pressure cleaner is a device that is powered by an electric, diesel, or gasoline engine. In private use, you usually use the electrically driven high-pressure cleaner. These devices consist of:
- A high-pressure pump – it sucks the water from the water pipe over a normal garden hose and generates a water pressure of up to 160 bar
- an electric motor – to set the pump in motion
- A high-pressure hose (usually about 5 meters long) – via the hose or the steel pipe, the water passes directly into a spray gun
- on the spray gun still, different spray nozzles are attached.
How can you save electricity with a high-pressure cleaner?
Depending on what you want to use your high-pressure cleaner, there are various products on the market, ranging from private use in the house on the middle class for cleaning cars to the compact class for a powerful use. With such a large selection of products, you will certainly find a high-pressure washer that meets your needs. For the user, above all, the relationship between costs and benefits is important. For example, if you only want to clean the garden paths, patio, and occasionally the bike, then a high-end, expensive device will not do you much good. The larger and more powerful the device, the higher the energy and water consumption– In this case, the costs are hardly in proportion to the benefits. A practical and universal cleaning device is usually sufficient for normal home use, so as to cover all the work involved.
The energy can also be saved with a hot water pressure washer. A higher temperature provides more power: The warm water allows better results in cleaning processes than the cold water. Oils, soot or fats can decompose faster with hot water, these soiling also dissolve better. The hot water reduces the cleaning time by up to 35%, which of course also reduces water consumption. The hot water high-pressure cleaner guarantees savings in water, energy and working hours. This gives you a better cleaning performance, the use of cleaning agents is reduced and therefore more hygienic.
Modern high-pressure cleaner with battery drive is also low in electricity consumption. The duration of such devices differs depending on the recording power. Cordless tools are flexible in use and you can use them in hard to reach places. Above all, you can take advantage of this and use those devices where there is no power connection. The use of the right cleaning agents also saves energy. Stubborn dirt cannot always be effectively removed only with clear water and water pressure. Thanks to a special cleaning agent for the respective application, the working time is reduced, which also reduces energy consumption. The different detergents have different concentrations and should be used exactly after dosing.
What should be considered when choosing the right pressure washer?
The choice of a proper high-pressure cleaner should be made under consideration of various criteria and product characteristics. Before deciding on a product, note the following points:
- The place of use and the object of the cleaning. With a high-pressure cleaner, you can easily remove even heavy dirt. It is irrelevant whether you want to clean the sidewalk, your terrace, the car or the house facade. Make sure that there is a power outlet nearby if you choose a high-pressure electric washer. If you know in advance that you can only use the high-pressure cleaner in certain locations with the help of a cable reel or extension cable, you may want to consider buying a gasoline or cordless high-pressure cleaner as a possible alternative.
- The area size. When cleaning larger areas (such as terraces) of over 20 square meters or the house facade, you should choose a stronger high-pressure cleaner model. For simpler applications, such as sidewalks or vehicles, an inexpensive model also serves well.
- The height of the water pressure (bar). The cleaning performance of the high-pressure cleaner depends directly on the water pressure. The simple and cheap models usually have a water pressure between 100 and 140 bar. This allows you to easily carry out simple work (car wash, walkway cleaning, etc.). For larger surfaces, devices with a higher water pressure should be used.
- Delivery rate (amount of water per hour in liters). The persistent and large-scale soiling need a high-pressure cleaner with a high water flow rate. On the one hand, this makes the work more efficient, but on the other, it also saves energy.
- The use of cleaning agents. If you want to use cleaning agents for your work in the future, you should always make sure when choosing the high-pressure cleaner that it has an integrated cleaning container or a separate connection point for appropriate cleaning agents.
- Equipment. Most high-pressure cleaners are supplied with both a combination nozzle and a rotor nozzle (mud cutter). Make sure that there are other compatible accessories for your product from the selected manufacturer for the device.
- The size (storage space). The most popular models for home use usually do not need much storage space. Nevertheless, you should first make sure that the chosen high-pressure cleaner is given you a suitable place.
The advantages and disadvantages of a high-pressure cleaner
The use of a high-pressure device can bring many advantages. By using a high-pressure cleaner, you will above all save the force that you would have applied in the normal case for the required scrubbing. The high-pressure cleaner, however, is used without much effort. When working with a high-pressure cleaner, the body is also less stressed because, for example, you do not have to bend over or move to the knees. Furthermore, you will save time. They manage to remove even larger dirt in a short time by the water jet. A high-pressure device allows large areas to be quickly and effectively cleaned of impurities, which takes much less time than scrubbing.
The advantages of the high-pressure cleaner at a glance:
- fast and efficient cleaning of stubborn dirt
- Protection of the body
- a time saver over scrubbing
- environmentally friendly – cleaning without chemicals.
Although you benefit from the many advantages, you also have to address the few disadvantages. Incorrect handling of the device can permanently destroy the structure of various surfaces. The hard water jet, for example, has a negative effect on car paints. Incorrect handling in the garden can damage flowerbeds or shrubs, for example.
The disadvantages in a short overview:
- if used incorrectly, surfaces may be damaged
- Garden: Plants and flowers can be destroyed by the beam
- There is a real risk of injury if used incorrectly.
What can be cleaned with a pressure washer?
The high-pressure cleaner is a versatile device that can provide you with good services around the house. You can use it to edit all objects that withstand the pressure of the device. With a high-pressure cleaner can be cleaned, among other vehicles, garage entrances, facades, kitchen appliances, cabinets, carpets, tiles and joints, pool facilities, garden furniture, terrace or balconies.
When should you not use a pressure washer?
Not everything can be cleaned with the help of a high-pressure cleaner. Keep in mind that the water jet is sometimes used to cut materials. At high pressure, the water can become a cutting tool. Be careful when cleaning tires because they are made of a rubber compound that is sensitive to pressure. If you hold the water jet of the pressure washer too long in one place, you may damage the tire unnoticed. The electrical appliances are not suitable for cleaning with a high-pressure cleaner, because the sensitive boards would not withstand the load and the water under any circumstances. In addition, the device can no longer be used after contact with water.
What accessories are there for the high-pressure cleaner?
The basic equipment of a high-pressure cleaner includes a high-pressure pump, electric motor, high-pressure hose, jet pipe, and a spray gun. Everything that goes beyond that, you can purchase separately as an accessory. Depending on the make and model, the following accessories are available on the market:
- Surface cleaner with a brush. With the surface cleaner, you can clean various surfaces outside (eg terraces, sidewalks, garage entrances) splash-free and effective. This accessory is only suitable for cleaning surfaces and also has the advantage that the spray water reflected from the bottom first collects in the container of the surface cleaner before it drains off. This protects you better against flying stones and other parts that can be removed from the material to be cleaned when using a high-pressure water jet.
- Dirt Blaster. You can use this accessory for cleaning the surfaces of stone slabs or for the spaces between the individual slabs. In fact, a lot of moss accumulates in these places over time. The dirt cutter has a particularly hard spot beam, which it also rotates.
- Wash brushes. They are often supplied as standard equipment. This is better protected against splashing water, similar to the surface cleaners. You can use it for cleaning cars, boat hulls, and other sensitive surfaces.
- Fan nozzle. This nozzle is ideal for cleaning automobiles because it generates little pressure and releases the water in as wide a jet as possible, reducing the risk of damage.
- Detergent tank. Many high-pressure cleaners also have a separate tank that you can fill with a detergent (such as the active foam cleaner that can be used to care for vehicles).
Do you really need detergents?
The high-pressure cleaner is an environmentally friendly device because it works for most work without chemicals. In some cases, however, the use of cleaning agents is necessary to eliminate, for example, rust, paint residues and stubborn dirt. For this purpose, most manufacturers offer special detergent tanks that are integrated into the housing.