Technology, especially the smartphone, has brought about an authentic revolution in how music is heard in the domestic and consumer environment. Music, in many situations, is already in our streaming service or directly in the internal memory of the mobile phone, so the listening system no longer usually goes through fixed sound systems but through headphones, the loudspeakers of mobile phones if they are worth it and more and more, wireless speakers by Bluetooth.
But what wireless speaker should I buy? ¿ Who are the best as we seek? In Xataka we already have the Bluetooth wireless speaker shopping guide with tips to get it right and a selection of what we currently consider the 15 best models on the market.
Top 10 Floating Bluetooth Speakers
How to choose a Bluetooth wireless speaker?
Price, design and what else should we look at when choosing the best speaker for our needs? We propose some of the features that you should take into account when deciding on one or another Bluetooth speaker.
Listening to music without wires is comfortable and every day the sound quality is higher. Although there are exclusively WiFi speakers, these have their natural habitat very close to home and offices. However, models with Bluetooth connectivity cover a wider market. Although it is the main connectivity that we are going to look for, we must not forget that the speaker we are going to choose has more connection forms.
Another type of connectivity much appreciated in a Bluetooth speaker would be the NFC. Many of the most current models already integrate mainly to facilitate the pairing with smartphones. All you have to do is zoom in between the sound source and the speaker and you’re done, without having to search, enter menus, download configuration applications or enter pairing codes.
Type and Bluetooth profile of a speaker
What we are looking for is clear that it is a Bluetooth speaker, but if you look at the different models on the market, you will find different versions that have certain profiles associated with the use of said base connectivity.
The Bluetooth version directly affects the bandwidth, and in the market we find models that do not fall as a general rule already of a 3.0 specification, although ideally, they were already 4.0 to take advantage of lower consumption, key in a speaker wireless Also the Bluetooth class (1, 2 or 3) will determine the range.
As for the profile, the one supported by our loudspeaker will be one or the other going to determine from the functions of the same up to the quality of the sound that we can obtain. Although Bluetooth connectivity indicates the wireless connection, the profiles determine the functions capable of performing both source and receiver. Both one and the other must be compatible with the same profiles in order to use them.
If we focus exclusively on what is directly related to sound, the main Bluetooth profiles are:
- A2DP. The most widespread is the main one used to transmit audio through BT connectivity.
- AVRCP. Profile intended for remote control of different audio playback functions.
- HFP. This profile, as we will see later, is necessary to be able to use a loudspeaker as hands-free and make/receive calls from our smartphone.
- HSP. It is the most used to receive audio content in headphones.
The maximum sound quality that we can receive via Bluetooth is marked by the profile’s input and the supported codecs, which will usually compress the sound so as not to exceed the maximum bandwidth assigned to that profile.
In the connectivity of our future Bluetooth audio system, it is advisable to pay attention to how many devices it supports linked at the same time, as well as the equipment from which the link is stored. At home, we can have several smartphones, tablets or even laptops and desktops from which we want to send audio to a Bluetooth speaker. If we already have them paired it is more direct to start sending audio whenever we want, without waiting.
Size and resistance
In addition to the connectivity and the environment of use, one of the differences between a wireless WiFi speaker and one exclusively by Bluetooth is usually in its size. With a Bluetooth system, we are going to try to look for a small portable device that we can move from one side of the house to another and also take us to other places where we want to listen to music without cables.
Another important and highly valued item in the Bluetooth portable speaker sector is its resistance to water and dust. If we intend to use the equipment frequently in the open air, it is highly recommended that it have a resistant profile so that at least it can support splashes of water and dust or sand, although there are models that can even be submerged and that continue to work.
Technical specifications to consider
Something that we should never leave aside when choosing a Bluetooth speaker is to review its data sheet. There we will find a good part of the keys that will vindicate us on paper the sound quality. The four main ones would be:
- Power. It is indicated in W, and you have to be very careful to keep the peak power that manufacturers usually give in order to confuse the consumer. The value that will really mark us and allow us to face two models directly is the nominal power or RMS, which reflects the maximum value that the loudspeaker supports in optimal playing conditions, and is the one you should compare without a doubt.
- Frequency range It tells us the maximum and minimum frequency that the speaker is capable of reproducing. It should be broad.
- Impedance It is the resistance that the system opposes to the passage of the current, and it should be as low as possible since it will be a good sign of the overall quality of the equipment.
- The number of channels and size of the drivers In the world of the speakers, although the number of channels is not a direct signal of the quality that we will obtain, they do provide us with more options. The usual thing is that in the market we find 2.0 or 2.1 systems. Here comes into play the size of the drivers (and if they are passive or active), which are key when we speak for example of the subwoofer. In small sizes, there are not many possibilities to offer good bass reproduction and that is where we can find some important differences.
Although the power will help us to know the sound pressure level where we will move with our speaker, the maximum volume that we will obtain with it will depend on the combination of that power with other factors such as impedance, distance to the speaker …