Daylight lamps – what exactly is behind this name? Especially in the dull and dark winter months, some people suffer from winter depression due to the lack of light. The lack of light means that the body can not sufficiently produce the happiness hormone serotonin. But he may be too much melatonin, so to speak, the sleep hormone. The result is that you feel tired and limp and would like to stay in bed.
The missing energy, you can “bring back” with a daylight lamp. Many models of daylight bulbs available on the market are suitable for light therapy. We would like to show you in our Tageslichtlampen comparison. what you should pay attention to when buying such a lamp and what differences there are in general.
Top 10 Daylight Lamps
What is a daylight lamp?
A daylight lamp is a lamp that simulates daylight. Daylight lamps have certain characteristics in terms of color and luminosity. The spectral composition, ie the colors contained in the light, must correspond as far as possible to the natural light. And the color temperature must be between 5,300 and 6,500 Kelvin.
The daylight lamps, which are also referred to as sunlight lamps or light showers, so simulate the sunlight. Because this has a positive effect on our body. But in the gloomy autumn and winter months, when the sun is rarely seen, some people feel limp, drained and listless. If we absorb too little light, less melatonin is formed by the body – we have just listed the consequences. In part, this can cause people to suffer from depression. To counteract this, there are the daylight lamps.
Daylight lamps are designed to help combat moodiness, constant fatigue or headaches. Various studies have shown that daylight bulbs help in many cases against these mood swings.
How does a daylight lamp work?
The function of a daylight lamp does not differ from the operation of a normal lamp. As with normal lamps, the daylight lamp uses one or more lamps. One of the few differences is the spectral filter of the daylight lamp. This filter allows only certain wavelengths of light so that a specific light color can be produced. And this comes very close to the natural light. To achieve this, the daylight lamps require a certain output power. However, there is no requirement in this respect, so that the output power in the different models of the daylight lamps are different.
The positioning of the daylight lamp is an important issue when using it. If the lamp is to illuminate the room, an attachment to the ceiling is recommended, as it illuminates the room completely. Some of the daylight lamps featured in our comparison can be mounted on the wall. Otherwise, you must position the lamp so that it can shine freely. It should not only be obscured by furniture or other objects but in principle shine directly on you. White walls increase the luminosity of the daylight lamp. They reflect the light and support the effect of daylight.
What are the advantages of a daylight lamp?
Increasingly, the benefits of daylight bulbs are being recognized, which is why today many offices are equipped with daylight bulbs. The simulated daylight is designed to protect workers from fatigue, lack of drive and thus maintain or even improve productivity.
When it’s cold, gray and dark outside, the daylight bulbs offer many benefits. By simulating the sunlight improves the mood in many people. But not only to improve “feel good” these daylight lights are ideally suited. They are also frequently used:
- When photographing: The daylight lamps allow a similar brightness as a high-quality flash, only that they shine continuously.
- When applying makeup: here the lamps have the advantage that they present the effect of make-up as it appears in natural light.
- In medicine: Daylight lamps have been used in medicine for many years. People with winter depression are often treated with the daylight lamps to remedy them.
- For airlines: Some airlines use daylight bulbs to tackle the unpleasant effects of jet lag. Although this may not work for every passenger, many passengers report that they were more fit after a flight.
Not only people who do not get enough daylight, the daylight lamps and their effect are good – in principle, all of us. The sun and its light have a positive effect on our body and our body – and if no sun shines, then the daylight lamps can contribute to well-being.
What types of daylight lamps are there?
Even with the daylight lamps, there is a large selection of designs. The daylight lights are as
- Floor lamps
- Table lamps or too
- ceiling lamps
With a daylight lamp as a floor or table lamp, you are much more flexible, as far as the installation of the lamp. You can also carry a table lamp from one room to another, a standard lamp usually also. In contrast, a ceiling daylight lamp is permanently installed so that it can not be moved. When installing the ceiling lamp, care should be taken that the entire room is properly lit.
What can daylight lamps be used for?
The uses of daylight lamps are very extensive – both in the medical and in the private sector. This is how the daylight lamps can be used
- Sleep Disorders help With a daylight lamp, it is possible to avoid sleep disorders or to counteract them. For our sleep, the biorhythm is the foundation. Fall asleep, sleep through and wake up in the morning – that determines our biorhythm. If the alarm rings in the morning and you find it difficult to open your eyes and stay awake, several reasons can be the cause. You sleep too little or you may suffer from sleep disorders or are very tense, are under stress. All this can negatively affect our biorhythm. A daylight lamp can be the solution here and help you get the sleep disorders under control.
- Winter depressions help When the cold and dark seasons come, some people suffer from the so-called winter depression. This is not due to the lack of sleep or bad sleep but to a lack of light. For this reason, winter depression is also often referred to as light-deficiency depression. Even in such cases, the use of a daylight lamp can remedy the situation. This light therapy can be used to get yourself a daylight lamp and use it every day, for example when working at the desk or reading or watching TV. Since the light from the daylight lamp shines brightly on your body, it often has a positive effect.
- Headaches help headaches and migraines can also be treated with a daylight lamp. Thus, the daily use of the daylight lamp can prevent migraine attacks and reduce or prevent headaches.
- Help with skin diseases Daylight lamps can help with skin diseases such as psoriasis. It has been proven that our hormonal balance has an influence on our skin texture. Stress or a disturbed biological rhythm can also be the cause of psoriasis. In these cases, a daylight lamp can also remedy. Due to the influence of light, the mood increases, the hormone balance is regulated and psoriasis can be reduced as a result.
What should you look for when buying a daylight lamp?
A daylight lamp can – as we have explained – bring many benefits. Even without problems, mood swings or listlessness, the use of a daylight lamp can have a positive effect on us. So if you want to buy a daylight lamp, you should pay attention to certain points. These are:
- The bulbs and light color The bulbs in the daylight bulbs are different. So we presented you lights that are equipped with LEDs and others that have tubes as a light source. It is important that the luminosity of the daylight lamp comes very close to natural light.
- The color temperature The color temperature is important if you want to use the daylight lamp in the evenings, for example, to read or work. In other words, in these cases, you need a different color temperature than with daylight therapy.
- The type of daylight lamp Daylight lamps is available in different versions. When buying a lamp, you should consider what purpose you want to use the lamp.
Reference to the medical purpose
In general, the daylight bulbs indicate that the lamp can be used for medical purposes. As a rule, these lamps are also certified accordingly. Daylight lamps, which are medically certified, meet a variety of criteria, indicating that they are also successful.
Which application period should be adhered to?
The duration of use is generally dependent on the light intensity of the daylight lamp. For lamps with up to 2,500 lux, an application duration of 2 hours per day is sufficient. Lamps that have over 5,000 lux should be used for a maximum of 1 hour. And with the daylight lamps with up to 10,000 lux, half an hour a day is fine.
Are there side effects when using a daylight lamp?
Daylight lamps usually have no side effects. However, in case of sleep disorders or depression you should talk to the doctor in advance about the purpose of light therapy and the use of a daylight lamp.
Are daylight lamps useful as a desk lamp?
Often you need light in the workplace to work better. And here, many now resort to a daylight lamp as a desk lamp, so to speak to kill two birds with one stone. The daylight lamp provides light, makes work easier and also helps to improve the mood. The experience with daylight lamps in the office sector shows that the effect of these lamps has a positive effect on concentration and productivity. For example, people using a daylight lamp at work have found that they are noticeably fitter and more balanced after work and feel better and not so tired.